Elizabeth Hurley is on a new quest to eat healthier, exercise more, and look her best ever (as if she doesn’t already!). But this beautiful actress works harder than you think to look the way she does. So what does she have up her sleeve this time?
Elizabeth has just started a new diet called the Food Combining Diet. The premise of the Food Combining Diet is that certain foods should be eaten together, while other foods should be eaten separately, or at a different time, as each food group requires different digestion times.
Different foods also require different digestive enzymes to assist in the digestive process – some acid, some alkaline. When acids and alkalines come in contact, they neutralize each other and this impedes digestion.
Elizabeth is following this plan as best as she can, but it does involve some pretty strict rules such as…
- Don’t mix starchy foods with protein foods at the same meal.
- Eat carbohydrate foods and protein foods at separate meals. Protein foods require an acid medium for digestion.
- Eat starches and acids at separate meals. Acids neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch digestion and the result is indigestion and fermentation.
- Eat only one kind of protein food at a meal.
- Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals. The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the digestive acids required for protein digestion.
- Eat proteins and fats at separate meals. Some foods, especially nuts, are over 50% fat and require hours for digestion.
- Eat proteins, sugars, and fruit at separate meals.
- Eat starchy foods, sugars, and fruit at separate meals.
- Eat melons alone. Melons combine well with almost no other food.
- Don’t eat dessert after a meal.
- Chew all food close to liquid consistency.
Although keeping up with such a diet can be hard at first, it is actually very rewarding not only for the fact that you lose weight, but because you’re enjoying a healthier lifestyle. Elizabeth hopes to keep up with this diet, but she’s also hitting the gym more frequently now working on her upper body strength a lot as well as her endurance.